Saturday, September 16, 2017

Teal's Real Race 2017 a Success

Teal's Real Race was a success! It was my first year participating, but it was their 3rd year of doing it. 



As you may know, I lost my mom this year to Ovarian Cancer. Prepping for this race caused me a lot of anxiety. On the one hand, I was excited to be a part of the festivities, dress in teal, and help support the cause. On the other hand, I miss my mom greatly and I wish I could tell her all about it, but I couldn't. 


It was an emotional experience for me, but I'm glad I was there and I look forward to doing it again next year. 

The day started out with registrations and some breakfast snacks. Followed by speakers and a dance performance. One of the speakers was an 8 year Ovarian Cancer Survivor, Marianne. She encouraged others to be active and do whatever sport you enjoyed the most. She danced in the performance and it was truly moving. 

Next, was the 5K race. Not everyone at the race was able to run or walk, but they were there at the finish line to cheer us on. There were medals handed out to the top 3 men and women. The fastest man finished the race in 16:51. Kids also received medals for participating. There were many dogs doing the race with their families, and of course, they were wearing teal bandannas. 

At the conclusion of the race, there was a raffle. There several prizes including gift certificates for acupuncture, massages, dinner, and athletic gear. 

The charity has not yet met it's goal and has extended the time that we can take donations on the website. If you can, please consider donating. Here's the link


No comments:

Post a Comment