Friday, September 29, 2017

Hurricane Maria Impacts Puerto Ricans Everywhere

My family is from Puerto Rico. I own a house there. Ever since the hurricane hit the island, I haven't been able to communicate with anyone on the island. I also don't know if my house there is still standing or if it sustained severe damage. 




Growing up in Puerto Rico means that I lived through many hurricanes. I remember a hurricane in 1998 while I was in high school that caused the island to not have power for a month. Yes, a month. It's a really hot and tropical climate. Having no power with 90 degrees Fahrenheit, high humidity, and no way to keep the mosquitoes at bay, is tough. Add to that water and phone lines are usually also gone during this process. 




I was pleased to see that Royal Caribbean has sent out a cruise ship to evacuate some of the victims. Link to article. It's sad to hear that the supplies needed on the island are sitting in crates at the dock because of the lack of diesel available to deliver the goods. Here's the link to the CNBC article

It's so frustrating to be so far away and worried for long periods of time with just the hope that everyone and everything will be okay.

Amazon is making it easy to contribute to those affected by the Mexican earthquake, Hurricanes Irma and Maria. Simply click on this link and pick one of the items the Red Cross is requesting for that area and purchase it. Amazon will then deliver it on your behalf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment