Friday, September 1, 2017

Disney Pixar Coco Film Focuses on Hispanic Traditions

Disney has an amazing ability to take traditional folkloric stories of various places around the world and transforming them into a family fun movie. 

When I was in Italy, I learned that Pinnochio was based on an Italian folkloric character. Visit Rome and you will not only find Holy Water and Rosaries as souvenirs, but also small wooden Pinnochio's. 


When I went to Ireland, I visited the Leprechaun Museum in Dublin, Ireland, yes, there's such a thing, and they told us that the story of leprechauns was told to children there for ages. I also remember the narrator saying that the leprechauns in their folkloric stories wore brown, not green clothes. 

This time Disney does it again with the upcoming film Coco. As a Spanish Teacher and fellow Hispanic, I can see so much culture integrated into the film that it's amazing. Finally, a film that explains Day of the Dead is not a scary day, but as something culturally beautiful and almost magic. 


Here's the trailer for the Disney/Pixar film Coco. 

In theaters, November 22, 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment